Tuesday, May 26, 2009

In training ...

The training has begun.

While I was stuck in school on Memorial Day, Kevin started Sadie on her crate training ... again.

He sent me videos throughout the day and I am so proud of her!

First, he just put the bottom part of the crate in my room, next to my bed. Then, he put some of my clothes in there (she likes to sleep on my clothes, probably because they smell like me).

Video coming soon :-)

Then, he put the top on and convinced her to go inside using treats. From there, he turned it into a game. She would go in the crate and he would shut the door. She had to stay in there quietly for a little while then he let her out and took her outside.

Another video here :-)

He kept her in there for a bit while he moved around the house. Then, he let her out, took her outside and readied himself to leave for the day.

When he told Sadie to go to her room, she did!

Five hours later, when he returned, she had pottied (Numbers 1 and 2) in her crate (all over my clothes). He cleaned it out (do I have the greatest bf or what?) and set it all back up. Then, he put her food in there as he fed the animals. She promptly picked her bowl up and took it to my bed.

When I got home, I got involved. Had I not seen the video from Kevin, I would have thought he'd lied - she was not a fan of "her room."



So, we took a few mental steps back and bribed her with treats and food until she would go in to the crate - never forcing her. When she would go all the way inside, we left her in there for periods of time while we were in the house. We took her for a walk around the block (another, shorter, story) and then we crated her while we went for ice cream (Baskin Robbins Lemon Custard = YUM!).

Overall, I'm pleased with her progress in just 12 hours.

This morning I felt weird about crating her. Chester is visiting (apparently, when Kevin told him to get in the car to go home, he wouldn't - he loves it at my house). So, I shut Chester and Eddie in the room with Sadie. I debated about leaving her out of the crate but shut in my room and decided it would derail the training. Thoughts?

Some Web sites say not to force it, and don't leave them in the crate before they are ready. Sadly, I'm not sure of my options, considering my roommate's attitude change.

I appreciate any advice on this one!

No comments: