Monday, April 6, 2009

Scariest day ever

My greatest fear was realized this weekend. Sadie got into a fight.

There was snarling, growling and blood. It was awful.

We took Sadie to Kevin's so she could run around in the back yard. I also thought we should try to socialize her with Hershey, Kevin's roommate's dog.

You see, Hershey and Sadie haven't gotten along well. They growl - either over Hershey's territory, Chester, or both. But I thought if we were careful we could help.

Big mistake.

It all happened so fast that I couldn't keep up. One minute I was letting her into the backyard and the next she was lunging at Hershey and Kevin was yelling and I was screaming and hitting Sadie to try and distract her. There was blood dripping from someone. We managed to pull Sadie off, but Kevin couldn't get Hershey inside in time and I lost hold of Sadie and the carnage started all over again.

Both dogs are fine, but I am wounded - in spirit. I thought we were making such progress with Sadie! Both dogs have several of bite marks and Hershey was limping for a bit (then began faking it - kinda funny). Kevin's roommate handled it well. He called yesterday and said she was fine. Sadie is too, but I am so scared to take her around other dogs!

What if it happens again?

No comments: