Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Introducing Sadie

Sadie, Sadie pretty lady -

And she really is.

I met Sadie on Friday, Nov. 20, the day after I lost my Sheltie, Eddie.

Eddie dug out of the back yard and I was looking on the local animal shelter's Web site for his photo when I saw this adorable yellow Labrador. Her skinny stature called to me. The photo didn't show her face very well, but her protruding ribs stabbed me in the heart.

I met Sadie in person several days later when I visited the shelter, still looking for Eddie.

Several more days later, I spoke with the shelter's manager (all are on high-alert to help find Eddie) and asked her about Sadie. She said she recently had puppies and that it seems her previous owners let the puppies nurse on her too long and that she probably ran away to get away from the puppies. Then, I asked if there is a foster program and she said there is - and so an idea got stuck in my head.

After almost two weeks, Eddie still hasn't returned home - and I am now Sadie's foster mom.

She is sleeping next to me in bed right now. Skinny as a rail, tuckered out, but doing well.

The cats are dealing and she seems fine with them.

She has a blast in the back yard. It's clearly been awhile since she's been able to run around free and crash through leaves.

One funny anecdote: She took the biggest poop EVER, and like a cat, tried to cover it with dirt and leaves. She was still on the leash and I didn't quite understand what she was doing until I saw her foot hit the pile of poo and fling it ALL OVER ME.

She's such a classy lady, Sadie.



No comments: