Thursday, June 11, 2009

Progress!

WOW!!!

Sadie just meandered into her crate - WITHOUT BEING TOLD!!!

I am so excited, I can't even begin to describe it.

We've been working with her off and on for three weeks now - when she seems to get fed up, we take a break for a couple of days. She does better with Kevin than with me (frustrating since she's MY dog).

I put her food either in the crate or right in front of it every day. And she promptly moves it onto the bed and enjoys her meal.

But this afternoon I decided to retire my comforter and put it in her crate. AND NOW SHE IS JUST LAYING IN THERE!

We worked with her a bit and she was doing great. Then, we started getting ready for bed and she just walked right in there and laid down!!!

YAY!!!

Right now she is banging around in there situating the comforter. The door is wide open so she can get out if she wants.

I'm scared to screw up this progress. Clearly, we want the crate to continue being a "safe" place for her. So, my thought is to keep the door open for a couple more weeks - not lock her up in there for awhile. Let it become a place she enjoys so that it doesn't feel like a prison to her.

I'm open to suggestions.

No comments: